Langley Hospice Society – Executive Director
Job Description Summary:
The Langley Hospice Society is a community-based non profit organization that provides
compassionate support to help people live with dignity and hope while coping with grief
and the end of life.
Working closely with the Langley Hospice Society and Langley Foundation Boards in
carrying out the Mandate and Mission of the organization, the Executive Director
provides the leadership and direction necessary for the achievement of its goals and
objectives. The Executive Director essentially oversees and manages the function of the
entire Langley Hospice organization by implementing policies and directives as well as
directing all daily operations for the following:
- Langley Hospice Society Supportive Program Centre
- Langley Hospice Foundation Thrift Store
- Palliative Support and Volunteer Services to the Fraser Health Interim
Langley Hospice Residence
- Management of Operational Support Services and Volunteer Services for the
new Langley Hospice Society Residence scheduled to open in Fall 2020
The Executive Director:
♦ is accountable to the Board of Directors through the President of the Society
and the President of the Foundation and is responsible for all of the
Society/Foundation operations and programs, business, public relations, and
administration and supervision of all personnel and contracts.
♦ provides the leadership required so that the organization makes the highest
possible contribution to hospice palliative care within the resources approved
by the Board and consistent with the Board’s policies and, supports the Board
in fulfilling their governance functions.
♦ will support the Langley Hospice Society’s philosophy, mission statement,
core values and policies in supporting individuals in their end of life journey.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience:
Demonstrated ability in the following:
- Leadership skills, including:
♦ Ability to promote and foster a supportive, harmonious working environment for
all staff and volunteers
♦ Strategic planning skills including goal setting and achievement in a team setting.
♦ Ability to foster positive collaborative relationships and communication with
diverse clients, organizations, funders, donors, media, opinion leaders, and
♦ Ability to work with a team in a collaborative and participatory manner.
- Superior organizational, program and community development and management
- Exceptional competency in preparation and presentation of reports, budgets,
proposals and grants for the purpose of planning, developing and evaluating
- Project management skills and experience.
- Proven ability in all aspects of staff recruitment, hiring, supervision, retention, and
- Entrepreneurial skills for promoting the organization, networking and fundraising
relevant to the non-profit sector.
- Theoretical and practical knowledge related to loss, hospice, palliative care and
- Proficiency in the development and delivery of quality volunteer training, support and
- Competency in a wide range of administrative software and social media sites, e.g.
Windows, word processing and database management.
- Post-secondary education; preferably a Bachelor’s or Master’s Level Degree or a
comparable combination of education and experience.
- An experienced professional with at least 5 years of people and budget management
experience, preferably in the non profit sector
The position is permanent full-time
Please submit your letter of application and resume to
Search Committee, Langley Hospice Society
Application Closing Date: April 12, 2019
No phone calls please
The Langley Hospice Society thanks all applicants for their interest, however, only shortlisted candidates will be selected for interview.