The Langley Hospice Society is a community-based non profit organization that provides compassionate support to help people live with dignity and hope while coping with grief and the end of life.
Please see list below for current career opportunities available:
Second Story Treasures Manager, Store Operations
Please send your resume and cover letter to email@example.com
Applications will be considered until October 29, 2018 or until a suitable candidate has been found.
The Langley Hospice Society is looking for an ambitious and dynamic individual with retail management experience who has a passion for thrift stores and is customer service oriented, to fill the position of Manager, Store Operations.
As a role model and team leader the Store Manager will motivate and develop a winning team that provides exceptional customer service. She / He will demonstrate an innovative and entrepreneurial approach by responding to the unique characteristics of the thrift store market in order to deliver on the key financial objectives as established by the Society.
The Manager, Store Operations is responsible for overall store operations, training and management of staff and volunteers, ensuring excellent customer service to store customers and donors in this thriving thrift store environment. She / He will ensure store operations, meet the needs of customers and is consistent with the mandate of the Society.
The Manager, Store Operations is accountable to and reports to the Executive Director or designate.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Plan, direct and supervise all aspects of store operations, including intake, sorting, pricing and recycling of donations.
- Oversee the acceptance and evaluation of donated items i.e. clean, functional and sellable
- Develop and manage opening and closing protocols/procedures as well as oversee and train store staff
- Ensure there are sufficient volunteers trained in operating the cash counter and that the daily cash statements are accurate and bank deposits are made daily
- Maintain accurate sales records – overall and by department
- Oversee the preparation of the monthly volunteer shift schedules and ensure that the store has sufficient coverage in all areas to operate effectively
- Manage and plan Second Story Treasures annual spring and fall flips
- Plan and implement various store events, i.e. customer appreciation day
- Ensure all store safety regulations and policies are developed, implemented and followed
- Ensure the store remains a safe work environment, is clean and tidy and adheres to WorkSafe BC applicable regulations
- In collaboration with LHS Development and Communications Manager, develop and implement a comprehensive marketing plan for the store
- Oversee store functionality and ensure all equipment is in good working order
- Maintain positive working relationship with various service contractors
- Maintain positive working relationship with property building management and site manager
- Collaborate with other Hospice Society Thrift Stores
- Participate in local Walnut Grove community events as needed to further promote Second Story Treasures Thrift Store
- Perform other related duties as assigned including LHS events as required
Staff and Volunteer Management
- In collaboration with LHS Executive Director hire store staff
- Supervise, train and regularly evaluate store staff
- In collaboration with LHS Volunteer Program Coordinator and in adherence to LHS policies and procedures ensure the recruitment of adequate volunteers
- In conjunction with LHS Volunteer Program Coordinator, supervise and regularly evaluate store volunteers
- Oversee the maintenance of accurate store volunteer hours and submit monthly to LHS Volunteer Program Coordinator
- Prepares for and holds monthly store volunteer meetings
- Develop and maintain appropriate protocols for communication and conflict resolution within a busy and collaborative, behind the scene “sorting” area and a prominent retail space area
- Responds to the requests of people both over the phone and in person in a courteous, respectful and timely manner.
- Participates in LHS staff meetings, LHS special events, LHS/LHF Annual General Meeting, LHS/LHF Volunteer Appreciation Events, training programs and workshops as required.
- Maintains a current knowledge of and adheres to all Langley Hospice Society policies and procedures.
Skills & Abilities
- High level of diplomacy, discretion and confidentiality as well as the ability to interact effectively with staff, volunteers, donors and the public
- An interest in the field of hospice palliative care
- Ability to maintain a flexible work schedule, including some weekends and evenings
- Responsible, self-motivated, detail-oriented and ability to multi-task
- Strong organizational and computer skills including the ability to work on a variety of projects simultaneously
- Ability to work well both independently and as part of a team
- Minimum of 5 years retail experience with management responsibilities including; direct supervision, recruiting, hiring, evaluating, and training of staff and/or volunteers
- Creative merchandising skills and knowledge of thrift store operations
- A thorough working knowledge of products and trends including current market prices regarding antiques, fashions, furniture, clothing, jewelry, etc.
- Successful completion of a criminal record check
- Experience and/or certification in working with and managing volunteers
- Knowledge of supplies and equipment required for retail operations
- Knowledge of services, ordering and inventory control for retail operation